+ + + +

Kentucky law requires all vehicles purchased in another state to be inspected by the Sheriff in the county where the vehicle is to be licensed.


An out of state inspection is only required when a vehicle is brought into Kentucky from another state or purchased in another state, and whereas the owner is going to reside in Calloway County, and would like to obtain a Calloway County license plate. Your vehicle must comply with the provisions of KRS Chapter 189 pertaining to vehicle equipment. Simply put, your vehicle must be in a safe condition for operation upon the highway and capable of transporting both persons and contents in a safe manner. This would include, but not be limited to, the brakes, steering, headlights, rear lights, brake lights, and turn signals being in place and fully operable. Additionally, all window glass must be in place and the vehicle must be equipped with operable front windshield wipers.


A Calloway County Deputy Sheriff, certified in vehicle inspections, will check the vehicle identification number (VIN) and compare it with the number on the Title or Certificate of Origin. This information, along with the vehicle’s mileage, is recorded on a Kentucky Application for Certificate of Title/Registration Form. You must take this completed form to the County Clerk to obtain your Kentucky license plate. The inspector may also check the vehicle for all safety features, including lights, wipers, horn, turn signals, glass, brakes, etc.


The fee for an inspection is $5.00 cash or check only - sorry, no credit cards. For businesses that have 2 or more vehicles to be inspected, we can come to you but there will also be a trip fee charge of $10.00.


You may either bring your car to the Calloway County Sheriff's Office at:
701 Olive St.
Murray, Ky 42071

Or we can come to you for an additional fee of $10

What do I need to bring?
Vehicle Title
Your Drivers License
$5.00 (Cash or check only)

Please note: The above requirements apply primarily to automobiles, trucks and motorcycles that have been in good working condition, considered roadworthy under KRS, and have been previously registered in another state.

Contact the Calloway County Clerk with questions about salvage titles, golf carts, scooters, trailers,
mopeds etc., as often there are specific requirements for specific vehicles that fall outside of the usual out
of state transfer and registration. Calloway County Clerk's Office: (270) 753-3923

Drive Safely and please Buckle Up!